Monday, November 30, 2020

Flips of the Tongue, 2020

It's been more than a year since my last post that listed the flips of the tongue I've accumulated. I've been trying to note where I read or heard them, but I see that I sometimes missed it. 

I admit that several of these are probably typos, autocorrects, or thinkos, rather than slips or eggcorns. But they're still fun, so here they are.

___

Someone in a tweet referred to the people who do Mafia Mulligan's bidding as Trump's mignons. I know he likes steak, but does he like it that much?

A spoken miscombination: Too many bones in the pile (too many irons in the fire combined with, perhaps, a bone to pick?).

This one, from a letter to the editor in the Pioneer Press, got past the copy editor. (What do they do with their time?) If everyone wore masks in stores, it “would create a tripping point” in improving COVID outcomes.

From a Twitter user: We have to get down to brass tax.

From back when former national security adviser John Bolton published his book about working within the Trump administration, someone on the Rachel Maddow Show (it might have been Maddow herself, though I'm not sure), said that Simon & Schuster went to the mattresses to get the book published.

During the aftermath of the Jacob Blake shooting in Kenosha, someone on Facebook referred to violet rioters. I know that people who proclaim they're not racist are fond of saying they don't see color and don't care if someone is black, white, or purple, but I think this phrasing was not intentional. 

From a Twitter comment whose context I've lost, unfortunately, so I'm not sure if it was an autocorrect or sarcastic, but in the original I think it seemed like a straight error: Sociopath-economic class (instead of socio-economic class).

More red meat, this time from a Facebook joke about houseplants. Q: What do you do with a plant that doesn’t have enough roots to support its height? A: plant it lower down and add a steak.

The pandemic has created a glutton of office space.

Daughter Number Three-Point-One sent me a text to report she had just used the phrase pull the wool out from under you.

It wasn’t any skin off our teeth. (I'm not sure where I heard that. Maybe on MPR?)

This one on Twitter was probably an autocorrect, but it's still read funny: skill sets became skillets. They don't have the skillets to do that job!

On Twitter, there's no such thing as a boon, I guess: It’s a boom for national corporations.

Pear clutchers (probably another Twitter typo, but hey! Clutch those pears!)

___

Past flips of the tongue:

No comments: