Friday, March 14, 2008

Flip of the Tongue, Part 4

Ivory-Billed WoodpeckerHere are a few more recent flips to go with parts 1, 2 and 3. Since these were all actually seen in print, I guess they also qualify for Honey -- Get Me Rewrite as well.

Evasive species -- I'm not kidding. I read this in a school newsletter recently (the school shall remain nameless). I guess it could be the opposite of an invasive species... you know, a new term for endangered species.... Those threatened animals can be hard to find while their numbers are dwindling.

Pasta with roasted baby vegetables -- Okay, so there's no overt mis-thinking in this recipe headline, which I saw in a grocery store coupon book. More like not seeing the forest for the shrubs. Or something like that.

Short-sided -- As in, "Your advice seems short-sided." This was printed in an advice column in the Pioneer Press recently. Sheesh. (I actually didn't notice this one, since I don't usually read the "Ex-Etiquette" column. Thanks for passing it along, Nancy!) At least they got the hyphen right.

A final note: in Googling "evasive species" to see what turned up, I discovered there is a term for this type of usage, which also fits the "short-sided" example: It's called an "eggcorn" (as in, a misconception of the word acorn). There's an entire website with forums and everything dedicated to discussing new eggcorns.

A bunch of like-minded people... I guess I should feel like I've found my home on the Web. But right now I mostly feel like I've arrived late for the party.

No comments: