Wednesday, December 19, 2007

A Flip of the Tongue

Through the years, I have personally heard (or proofread) many mispoken phrases. Some could more properly be called malapropisms, others mixed metaphors, but whatever the specifics, they just crack me up. Here are few.

  • He's an old hat at it
  • Loaded like a bear
  • Pull the wool out from under the rug
  • Get off my face
  • It's no skin off my back
  • Left him out to dry
  • They're still green behind the ears
  • In the manor to which I have become accustomed
  • Dyed and true
These would perhaps be better recognized as...
  • He's an old hand at it (combined with "It's old hat to him")
  • Loaded for bear
  • Pull the wool over someone's eyes (combined with "pull the rug out from under someone")
  • Get out of my face
  • It's no skin off my nose (possibly combined with "like water off a duck's back"?)
  • Hung him out to dry (combined with "left him out in the cold")
  • They're still wet behind the ears (combined with the equation of "green" with inexperience)
  • In the manner to which I have become accustomed
  • Tried and true (combined with "dyed in the wool")

I'll post more of these from time to time as I stumble across them.

1 comment:

Seo said...

Ha! Those are great. Sadly, I contributed to the list.