Friday, January 11, 2008

Flip of the Tongue, Part 2

Pandora by Rossetti with wormsFollowing up on the flips of the tongue I wrote about earlier, here are a few more I've heard recently.

The pink elephant in the room -- It wasn't easy to convince the editor that what the writer of the article really meant was just "the elephant in the room" -- without any added coloration from the DTs.

Imperial evidence -- I can't remember the context of this one, except that the speaker really meant "empirical evidence."

Piranha -- today on Minnesota Public Radio, Bob Edgar, former Congressman and now head of Common Cause, was talking about his years on a public works committee. The other members were all receiving donations from the stone, asphalt, concrete and other industries, but Edgar was against all that. "I was a piranha on the committee," he said. Possibly he meant his criticism was eating away at his colleagues, but I imagine he really meant he was a pariah.

Pandora's can of worms -- I confess I didn't hear this first-hand (I got it from my sister-in-law) but it was too good to pass up.

No comments: