Saturday, January 12, 2008

PBS Meets the DVR and Loses

Does anyone else have this problem? Often, when I want set up a recording for a PBS program on my DVR, I can't find it when I search the programs.

I'll read a description of the program -- for instance, "The Complete Jane Austen" which is starting this Sunday. The first episode is "Persuasion." In the program search, I tried both "Persuasion" and "Complete" but didn't find the show. Muttered and swore loudly. Asked advice from other family members, one of whom thought to suggest, "Maybe it's under Masterpiece Theater." Sure enough, there it was.

I've had this happen before with other (non Masterpiece Theater) shows. Is it not possible that PBS could publish or list these shows -- which are really more like miniseries than part of a series -- under their actual names (like the Complete Jane Austen) or something? Sheesh.

And don't get me started on the stupidity of the user interface for the Comcast DVR. I don't know how they stay in business. The TiVo interface was so much easier to use, but when we moved to a high definition set in the last year, we had to give it up because the HD TiVo is just too expensive.

No comments: