Saturday, August 24, 2024

Dropping Out

Yesterday, around the time the ignominious RFK Jr. was endorsing Trump, New York Times columnist Jamelle Bouie asked on BlueSky,

i have actually never watched RFK Jr speak and uh what’s going on with him?

I vaguely remember wondering the same thing the first time I heard the guy speak, and found out he had some kind of medical condition, but I didn't look into it much after that.

The answer is that he developed what's called adductor spasmodic dysphonia in his 40s. Not a name I'm likely to retain; commenters reminded me that one of my old radio favorites, WAMU's Diane Rehm, had the same condition later in her life. I had remembered she had a medical issue that damaged her voice, but I hadn't recalled the name.

Anyway, at this point RFK Jr. is a prime example of what Michelle Obama last week called the affirmative action of generational wealth (not to mention prominent last name). He was a heroin addict, a drug dealer in college, probably a sexual predator of some sort, and for the past few decades essentially a madman from literal brain worms. Yet he thinks he can run for president.

His vocal damage is the least of it, but just from a cosmetic standpoint, that's also a problem in our media-saturated world. As one person said in response to Jamelle Bouie's question,

Like it’s not his fault, but imagine that voice at every important event for the next 4 years.

A few of the cads who responded to Bouie had funny answers for the cause:

Spasmodic dysphonia for the voice, brain worm for the opinions.

Shaken nepo baby syndrome.

He died 5 years ago, but he's stubborn.

I was not surprised that Jr. endorsed Trump. They have Jeffrey Epstein in common, as well as self-centeredness, so it makes sense that the selfish, damaged rich guys are sticking together. 

What doesn't make sense is that anyone would vote for either of them.


2 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Since this post is already rich in mockery:

I know I’m not the first person to see Kennedy Jr.’s resemblance to Jim (Christopher Llloyd) from Taxi.

Daughter Number Three said...

I didn't watch Taxi, so I didn't think of that.