Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Declaration of Jerkdom

I don't know much about pickup trucks except that in general they've become too large over the past quarter century. Many of their model names are intentionally aggressive, too, as if the trucks are intended as weapons or predators. 

The other day I saw a fine example of both problems, plus other signifiers more directly tied to the specific owner's worldview:

It was a lifted Raptor truck, immaculately clean and unmarred, as if it has never seen a day of work in its days on the road (or off the road).

Like many of these vehicles, it has a modified bullbar on the front. The bar is above a front bumper that  protrudes more than a normal bumper.

It also had double-barreled exhaust pipes for extra noise and pollution.

When I saw it, I assumed all of those elements were standard on a vehicle called "Raptor," but it turns out they aren't. This truck owner chose them to make his (let's assume its owner goes with "his") mode of transportation extra intimidating.

This is a standard blue Raptor that I think is the same year or one year off:

So the one I saw was modified to cover up the Ford logo with the word Raptor, to add the bull bar and jutting bumper, and (as I could see in another photo) to double up the exhaust pipes. It also doesn't have running boards, which makes it look leaner and more intimidating.

And then there are the vanity license plates:

I can only interpret that one way, especially in the context of this vehicle.


3 comments:

Jean said...

Man, I hate those trucks. It's like they took everything wrong and wrapped it into one package. Lately we've been debating trucks a little bit, as my husband's tiny sedan is wearing out, and so is my dad's little Toyota truck, which is wonderful for hauling things around when we need to (and my dad has stopped driving). So, should we replace the sedan with a truck? But how do you get a nice LITTLE truck anymore? Do those things exist? I don't think they do....

Daughter Number Three said...

Not on the US market... I wish there was a small electric truck, particularly. I would get rid of my car. I have my eye on one that is in development.

The smallest one now on the market in the US is the size of the old F-150s (one from 20 years ago or so)... much larger than an Chevy S10 or Ford Ranger.

Jean said...

Ugh. :(