Thursday, August 3, 2023

Biggest Bookstore with the Smallest Sign

Recently I was in Viroqua, located in Wisconsin's Driftless Region. As we were about to head out, I wanted to see the old, brick tobacco warehouses because I had seen them once 20 or 30 years ago.

Little did I know that one of them has since become a used bookstore. I think it may be the largest used bookstore I've ever seen, even though the red sign that says "USED BOOKS" is pretty small and kind of hard to notice.

It's called Driftless Books & Music, and it's been in the building since 2009. According to the website, they started by acquiring 100,000 books from a Connecticut bookseller's warehouse in 2004, and have since purchased seven other used bookstores in the country. 

This is a view down the main room near the back of the first floor:

 

I spent the most time in the science fiction room, just inside the front door, which was a pretty impressive collection (I didn't get a photo of that). 

There are a lot of different cozy nooks throughout, and I think there's also a basement. Maybe a second floor?

I wish I'd had spent more time there, but we were in a hurry since we were due to be somewhere else.

Darn.



1 comment:

Bill Lindeke said...

Eddie, who owns the store, is a wonderful guy. He gave us a behind-the-scenes tour once that blew my mind.