Saturday, September 17, 2022

An Appreciation of Bungee Cords

It was my birthday recently, and all I wanted was some bungee cords.


Photo by Jmb from the Wikimedia Commons.

They're so handy, right? The few that we have are always already in use. Now I have six more (since they come in three-packs).

This got me wondering how long bungee cords have been around and where the name comes from. 

It turns out, they're a 20th-century invention, which is not surprising given the kinds of materials that they're made from. According to the very limited Wikipedia article, they appear to have been invented for aircraft uses — possibly during World War I, and then a bit later with gliders.

As far as the name goes, the origins are uncertain, according to the OED. Etymonline offers a possible origin:

probably an extended use of the identical word used in late 19c. British schoolboy slang for "rubber eraser;" this probably is more or less onomatopoeic, from notions of bouncy + spongy

The Wikipedia lists some alternative names that are used in Australia, one of which is "jockey strap." That seems like a name open to great confusion with another term, at least in the U.S. — and perhaps infliction of pain.


4 comments:

Michael Leddy said...

Bungee cords and a Magnacart are a winning combination for all kinds of small moving jobs.

I’m finding it hard to think of how bungee cords might always be in use. Could you describe some uses?

Daughter Number Three said...

Well, I have a habit of using them in the summer to tie back unruly shrubs because they're easier than a bunch of twine, which is a months-long job. So "always" is an exaggeration, but it seems like always when it's summer and I need a bungee cord.

Michael Leddy said...

After I asked my totally naïve question, I saw that kind of use described online. Also: using them to baby-proof cabinets, hold basketballs and soccer balls, and so on.

Daughter Number Three said...

Yes, I think we used to use them for baby-proofing back in the ’90s. One thing I didn't mention in the post is that ER doctors are not fond of bungees because they cause eye injuries. Each of my new bungees came with a warning tag, fully vetted by the lawyers, I'm sure.