Friday, November 6, 2020

Four Years in Signs

I've been waiting for the day when it was pretty sure that Mafia Mulligan has lost the race for reelection, and I think that day is today, even though it's not even semi-official yet. But he's got no "path to 270," as the pundits say, other than a few legislatures venting their electors into space or the Supreme Court doing something completely unimaginable. 

So I'm going to go with what I think is reality and assume they won't do those things. And that means it's time for me to reward myself and post every sign I made to take to a march or protest since Mulligan was elected. 

The first one is from the day the Electoral College met in December. As I've said many times, including that day, I support the National Popular Vote:

Then there was this, from the day before the inauguration:


I took this signs to several other protests, since it's kind of an all-purpose message. (I actually have two of them, and originally had a bunch to give away, since they were printed on a letterpress. I know for sure I took it to the almost-war-with-Iran protest, for instance. It's small and easy to carry on a train or bus.

I spent a bunch of time making this sign for the 2017 Women's March, which was held the day after the inauguration in January:

 

This is one of my favorites (details of the photos are shown at the link above). Those were brave words. I'm afraid we have gone backwards, though.

This one is from February or March 2017, I think. I used it at a rally during the Minnesota legislative session:

Obviously I was seeing a backwards theme in the Mulligan years.

I start to lose track a bit at this point, but I think the next one would be this from the March for Science in April 2017:

 

 I'm not sure what I took this one to:

This one is easy to identity. It's from the March for Our Lives, March 2018:

I'm also not quite sure when this was, or what it was in response to specifically (a local outrage or a national one? who knows), but I know I was holding it on the Lake Street bridge between Saint Paul and Minneapolis:

This one was used outside Amy Klobuchar's office in July 2019:

And I think this is from one of the Protect Mueller emergency calls-to-action at the State Capitol:

This is from the Climate Strike in September 2019:

 

And shortly afterward, I went to a protest in downtown Saint Paul that traveled to the State Capitol. It was in support of a youth occupation related to climate and the Line 3 pipeline across Minnesota:

This one was from an evening action at the State Capitol during the impeachment hearings in December 2019:

And this last one was after the pandemic started. I took it to the downtown Minneapolis Post Office to protest Louis DeJoy and his interference with the postal service in August:

That final sign provides just as good a comment on the behavior of the Republican Party right now during the election count. The Republican Party clearly hates democracy.

I guess I have to keep all of these signs for my own personal museum. Maybe some year I'll be able to look at them with nostalgia instead of anger and pain, but I doubt it.


No comments: