Friday, December 2, 2016

Two from the Kerlan Collection

One of the under-appreciated gems of the Twin Cities: The Kerlan Collection at the University of Minnesota. I've written about it before (gee, more than a few times). Today I was nearby and when I stopped in I happened to see these two pieces of children's book history in a display case:


Yes, that's the original manuscript for Amelia Bedelia by Peggy Parish, along with its rough layout with the illustrations in sketch form. It's the part where Amelia is told to draw the drapes, so she... draws a picture of the drapes.

I remember having this book read aloud in school, maybe in third grade? And not knowing there was more than one way to draw the drapes.

Then there was this treasure, right next to it:


I think that's the final art for the cover of Margaret Wise Brown's Goodnight Moon, though it may be a proof, and that's definitely one of the inside illustrations by Clement Hurd.

No comments: