Sunday, November 3, 2013

And Now for Some Hair Salon Signs

For a while, I've been collecting photos of the many odd and sometimes inventive ways that independent hair salons are named.

A few favorites that I don't have photos of include one in the Hamline-Midway neighborhood of St. Paul called Fields of Hair (eeewwww!). Another, in the St. Anthony Park neighborhood, is called Theresa's Hair. Why you would want your hair to look like Theresa's is one question, but my main problem with the name is that every time I see it I think it says There's a Hair.

But I do have photos of the signs for several other memorable salons:


Groan. I don't even think it was near a pier, since it's from a small town in central Pennsylvania.


Better production values than most, but I'm not sure who it's meant to attract.


What the ... ?


Seen adjacent to the parking lot of a truck stop along the I-94 or I-90 corridor somewhere in North Dakota or Montana.


Not sure if this is supposed to be techno or what.


It's funny how the attempt to force the scissors to connect from one V to another makes it look more like an X. Let alone the somewhat frightening thought of having a valley hair vision.


Seen in Decorah, Iowa, a town proud of its Norwegian heritage. Which explains the name without excusing it.


Another groaner from Decorah, though better painted than most. Topped off with a set of unnecessary quotation marks.


It's good to know that the barber has arms. (Unlike the falcon.) Seen in West Salem, Wis.


The sign itself is innocuous, but I did like the tag line. Seen in Centralia, Washington.

And finally -- an example that's not my photo, but oh, boy, do I wish I had seen this one in person:


From the Twitter account of Holly Brockwell.




2 comments:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

For years I went to Curl Up & Dye on St. Clair near Fairview. I think it's still there.

Daughter Number Three said...

Yes, that's a classic. There was also one on 22nd near Lyndale, if I'm not mistaken.