Saturday, August 17, 2013

Random Photo Plus Patrick Rothfuss Quotes

I spent the day driving six hours to and from a family reunion picnic. On behalf of the reunion, I share this photo of the town park's drinking fountain:


Yes, it came from FAST Signs in Sparta, Wis. And yes, I did stick my head in there to get a drink of water.

While riding to the reunion, I indulged in many pages of Patrick Rothfuss's The Wise Man's Fear. This is the second book in a series called the Kingkiller Chronicle; the first book was called The Name of the Wind.

I admit the series didn't grab me right away. I'm tired of characters who are too perfect to have to struggle, even though the story is supposed to be about their struggles. But the first book grew on me enough to make me get the second one, and I'm enjoying it.

Two quotes:

We love what we love. Reason does not enter into it. In many ways, unwise love is the truest love. Anyone can love a thing because. That's as easy as putting a penny in your pocket. But to love something despite. To know the flaws and love them too. That is rare and pure and perfect (page 52).
and
...as near as I could tell [it was] the journal of a madman. While it sounded interesting, it was really only a headache pressed between covers (page 124).
I will continue reading its 1,000 pages (yes, that many exactly). And remember, I am the one who read Game of Thrones when only George R.R. Martin and a few tens of thousands of his closest friends knew what it was.

No comments: