Thursday, January 28, 2010

Infantilize Me, Please

British Airways full-page ad showing a vintage photo of a young mother cradling an infant. The baby's head has been replaced with a color photo of a white-haired man's head. He's asleep
How's this for a strange promotional concept? There must be some psychosexual undercurrent at work, but I never wanted to figure it out.

The small headline at top says "The new Club World cradle seat. Lullaby not included."

Aside from the general depravity, the thing that gets me about it the most is that the man's head is not the right scale for a baby's body. And I feel sorry for the poor mommy, left with this self-satisfied, snoozing changeling.

(I think I clipped the ad from Time magazine in the early 1990s.)

9 comments:

elena said...

Amazing! It looks earlier than that...the 60s? Or is it just trying to look like the 60s? (The sweater she's wearing, the production values..) Wow, a No Comment ad for the back of Ms., fo'shizzle.

Ms Sparrow said...

Eeeww, gross! I agree with Elena, the hair sytle looks more 50's to 60's. I would hope that we were more socially conscious by the 90's. (I'm still grossed out by that pregnant doll which looked more 70's to me.) Interesting collection of advertising dreck you have there. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

1996 according to this

http://www.advertolog.com/british-airways/print-outdoor/cradle-seat-460/

Maybe the goal was an idealized nostalgic mom-cypher age-appropriate for the balding guy. Whatever the intent, it is entirely squicky.

Daughter Number Three said...

I knew it was from the '90s because that's when I clipped it. I had assumed the woman's appearance was referring to the way this man's mother might have appeared when he was a baby... although where he got that ugly head, I don't know.

Hey, Blythe, what's happened to your blog?

elena said...

It's so Mad Men.

Thanks for the link, Blythe...when I clicked over to Advertolog, I also saw the "Tush Lips" ads from the Coway Electronic Bidets company. Still in a bit of shock over that.

Carmella said...

The little man looks so peaceful...

Unknown said...

I renamed my blog--I think that meant I went invisible to any followers of blythetheindexer... You know that Gary Larsen cartoon "Ghengis Kahn and his Mongol hordette"? My followers were a hordette. Quality, not quantity....

http://blythewoolston.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

manbabies

The madness continues

http://manbabies.com/

Daughter Number Three said...

Man Babies! Who knew it was a meme.