Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Meanwhile, in Washington, D.C.

Today, my Facebook feed reminded me that 12 years ago, I was in Washington, D.C. That was during the Obama administration, when there were not armed troops standing around on corners in that city intimidating people, and the president wasn't building monuments to himself without authorization and arresting people for vandalism they didn't do.

Anyway.

I just heard about a case from early May, in which three Idaho National Guard members assaulted a woman who is a retired Army captain (with a Purple Heart and a Bronze Star to her credit) — on her own property. (NPR story here.) She was sitting on a bench below the windows of her home. She had a banner hanging in or on a window that read "National Guard Stop Being So Embarrassing."

The whole thing was captured on her Ring doorbell camera. 

Their supervisor(s) says that she was "approached...because she was suspected of assaulting a guard member two days earlier." That doesn't account for their behavior afterward. Approaching someone is not wrestling them to the ground and putting zip ties on them. And of course it will turn out there is no evidence of this supposed assault.

The retired captain is suing the Idaho Guard for $3 million dollars. Her attorneys are the same ones who recently won the case of the guy who was following other Guard members around D.C. while playing the Imperial March music from Star Wars. 

I wonder how those Idaho guys are liking their new long-term stay accommodations. Better than hotel rooms, I bet.
 

No comments: