Friday, June 7, 2024

Four Photos from Minneapolis

It seems as though I hardly ever go to Minneapolis any more: too busy running from one thing to another in my Saint Paul-centric life these days. 

Earlier this week I had lunch with someone in the other city on both Monday and Tuesday, and took a few random photos.

First, The Adelaide, an early 20th century example of gentle housing density small-time developers used to build that has been illegal to create in 90% of both cities for the past 50 years or so:

Terrifying, I know! 

Next, some creative chicken seating in front of the restaurant Butter on Nicollet Avenue:

When I got Minneapolis, it's almost always to go to Uncle Hugo's Science Fiction Bookstore, so I stopped there on the way home. I didn't buy this book but I took a photo to add to my collection of Richard Cuffari illustrations:

On the way back to Saint Paul, just as I was about to reach the Mississippi River, I saw a sign I don't think I've ever seen before:

Sure enough, a crew was power-washing the Lake Street/ Marshall Avenue bridge. The cars that appear to be backed up here (allowing me to take this photo, since I was at a standstill) were not in that state because of the cleaning but because there was a crash just ahead blocking both of the right lanes a block or two before the bridge. From the looks of the crash it wasn't a fender-bender caused by stop and go, because there was too much damage. Someone was going too fast, and possibly there had been a side impact.


No comments: