Saturday, March 30, 2024

Uncounted Millions

I was a late adopter of podcasts, and I still don't listen to that many of them, really. 

That said, another recent one I recommend is the Uncounted Millions series on Trymaine Lee's Into America. He traced what happened to one Black family from Washington, D.C. that did, in effect, get reparations after the Civil War. 

Through the five episodes, Lee lays out how that happened, what became of the family's descendants, and how it differed from another branch of the family that didn't have that benefit. 

One of the things that I learned from the second episode is that the matriarch of this family was one of the Black women who made dresses for Mary Todd Lincoln (as portrayed in the film Lincoln, which was a thing I didn't know until I saw that film). The family was also essential in establishing Washington's strong Black Catholic tradition.

The last two episodes are about what has happened with reparations in the past several decades. 

Overall, there's a lot to learn in the 220 or so minutes of the five episodes.


No comments: