Thursday, September 28, 2023

Twitter, Once Again

It appears that Twitter is about to implode once again... or another mass exodus as of tomorrow, at least. Musk is doing something bad. I'm not sure if I'm staying or not, but I think it will be a ghost town either way.

Right at the moment the site is semi-frozen, with aspects of its functionality inaccessible. I'm looking at my feed, finding more accounts that have set up shop on Bluesky. There are many that are not there yet.

I feel as though parts of my brain will be gone, and I won't even know which parts they are.

As just one small example, here's a historical but still relevant image from Brent Toderian. He has made his way to Bluesky, at least:

He wrote this about it:

We’ve understood this for a REALLY long time. Urban mobility in cities is fundamentally about space. The goal is moving more people with fewer cars, less space, lower emissions, lower public costs, etc. From the Detroit Department of Street Railways, in 1937.

(Toderian credited historian Peter Norton for finding the image.)

I will miss what Twitter has been and I hope something like the amalgam it has been can be made somewhere else.


No comments: