Tuesday, November 8, 2022

Coping

In case you haven't noticed my recent "Currently Reading" sidebar, I have been soothing my midterm election jitters by rereading Barbara Willard's Mantlemass Chronicles, after rereading a number of Rosemary Sutcliff books. Yes, I am revisiting my teen years and/or Great Britain somewhere between 100 and 1650 CE.

I'm also watching the Jeopardy! Tournament of Champions, which today featured an exhibition match between the three players from last season who each won a lot of money and entered the show's record books for number of games in a row. The youngest champion of the three, who had won the least money and the lowest number of games in the regular season, won the exhibition game, so I wonder if that was about having the quickest reflexes. We'll see if that holds up in the semifinals, which start airing tomorrow. 

I sure wish I lived in a functional democracy, where I didn't have to worry that people were intentionally trying to screw up voting for people they hate or want to control. 

Here's what David M. Perry (@Lollardfish) had to say about it an hour ago on Twitter.

you know, I kinda feel like an insurrection held in the open, on television, with months of open premeditation, might merit legal and political response within the timeframe before the next election. Kinda feels important.

I get why this hasn't happened, but anyway ...

this whole: We're gonna do it again by slowing down vote counts and then claiming we've won, which we're announcing on tee-vee ahead of time, and then will do, and then you'll have to take it seriously, and Trump Judges™ will rule for us ... is getting to me.

I always thought coups were, at least, organized in subtext if not covertly. And that open coups might merit extraordinary response. At least within a couple of years. Weird times.

Another person replied to Perry: "Democracy can also die in daylight."

No comments: