Friday, May 6, 2022

Zahra Gulraiz

Following up from a post earlier this week…while I was on the Bayt Al Fann website, I discovered a post about the Arabic calligraphy of Zahra Gulraiz

She developed her style in Dubai, after studying fine arts at the University of Windsor in Canada.

Her work is intricate and fun, and the variation between pieces is part of what attracts me the most. You can tell they're by the same person, but I want to see more and more.

The page alternates art images with interview questions with Gulraiz, such as:

Does your audience need to understand Arabic when they view your work?
I don’t think it’s necessary to understand Arabic to feel what my work is portraying at all. For those who can read Arabic, my work is like a game. They can decipher the letters and make sense of the words, similar to a jigsaw puzzle.

In addition to the interview at Bayt Al Fann, there's more at her website, including her cool monogram logo: www.zahragulraiz.com.


No comments: