Thursday, April 21, 2022

Misleading Letters

I often have minor moments of confusion, and sometimes amusement, when acronyms (initialisms) are used for more than one thing, especially when they're alarmingly divergent things.

One that's a bit out-dated now is ATM: automatic teller machine, of course, but for a long time Adobe Type Manager was a common piece of software. Then there's MLS for the Multiple Listing Service or a Masters of Library Science.

Those are both pretty harmless. Here are some that are less so:

  • PCP: is it the drug we used to call "angel dust" or your primary care physician?
  • TIA: is it thanks in advance, or a transient ischemic attack?
  • TMI: is it too much information or Three Mile Island?
  • I've recently mentioned CRT, which stands for both cathode ray tube and Critical Race Theory. 
  • RPG: is it a role-playing game, or a rocket-propelled grenade?
  • IED: your choice of intermittent explosive disorder, or improvised explosive device?

I know I had others, but I can't find them now.  If I find where I noted them down, I'll add them later.


1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

Herschel Walker removed one ambiguity when he referred to “CTR.” : )