Tuesday, September 28, 2021

Why I Don't Go Out Much

Maybe I shouldn't go into normal stores.

Today I went into two of them, one a large grocery store to visit the pharmacy and get a flu shot, and the other a mall department store (cutting through on the way to a jewelry store where I was picking up a watch I was having repaired, rather than throwing it away... which would probably have been cheaper).

First, at the supermarket/pharmacy, I saw this on an end cap:

These homeopathic pseudo-products, each packaged in colors identical to the real product they compete with, made the words NATURAL or something like PEROXIDE FREE larger and the word "homeopathic" very small and hard to read. The Simalasan boxes also play up their "original Swiss formula," as if that has any meaning. I read the ingredients on one of them (it doesn't matter which one): glycerine, water, and something else. Nothing was an active ingredient, of course.

Second, at the department store, I saw this rack of shirts in the kids' (boys'?) section:

This is the fun-house mirror image of princess clothes. I don't even know what to say about it, except yechhh. I wonder if it was focus-grouped or not, and if it was (with positive results), I am even sadder.


No comments: