Wednesday, September 15, 2021

António Guterres

Can you name the current Secretary General of the United Nations? I couldn't have. I had a general sense that it was someone other than Ban Ki-moon, but I had no idea Ban left the position in 2017

António Guterres of Portugal is the name you maybe knew, but I did not. He was prime minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002. At the UN, he was High Commissioner for Refugees for 10 years.

Well, he's got my attention now. A few days ago he gave a speech saying the world must change in this pivotal moment. He synthesized many of our problems in a way politicians almost never do, and offered a report called Our Common Agenda as a way forward. 

That link gives a good idea of what he said. Read it, and know that at least someone in one kind of government has an idea of what needs to be done.


No comments: