Monday, November 2, 2020

Hoping I Never Have to Think Again About GGT

I couldn't decide what to post for this last night before the 2020 election. But then I remembered I had seen a photo of a pro-Mafia Mulligan sign in my local newspaper that seemed like it was worth a comment. 

My photo was from a black-and-white newsprint page, so it wasn't that great:

But it's readable enough. You get the idea.

I guess that summarizes one side of our current national divide. But in some ways, I find it hard to believe people are willing to self-label as voting for someone based on those words, particularly "god" and "guns," when their candidate so clearly has nothing to do with their god and the other candidate does, and guns have been used in mass killings of children and innocent people so many times in recent years.

To improve this post, I thought I'd go find a color image of the slogan online by searching the words god, guns, country, and trump. And I did find a couple of signs with those words, like this one:

(It's amusing how unreadable most of the designs are, as represented by this one, with its red type against a blue background.)

But what I found in much larger quantity among the search results were designs for signs and shirts that omitted the word "country." These were all about god, guns and Trump:

"Country" was the only redeeming part of the original slogan for me, even though I'm sure I don't approach it in the manner it was intended. At least we can agree on the fact that we live in a country and we want it to be a better place (though we disagree on how to define "better.") 

But omitting that word turns the slogan into a lie and utter travesty. Anyone who would wear a shirt like this or put up a sign must be a so-called Christian who thinks Jesus would be armed to the teeth. 

Possibly they wear things like this for the lulz, to rile the liberals, I guess, and it definitely works. I'm sure that's what Jesus would do.

I hope this is the last time I have to think about God, Guns, and Trump, but somehow I doubt it.


1 comment:

Michael Leddy said...

Last week I saw for the first time a sign like the one in the newspaper photo. I was taking a long walk in a neighboring town while waiting on new tires. I right away remembered a window sticker on a borrowed van that an arborist drove to our house a few years ago: “Pro-God, Pro-Life, Pro-Gun, Anti-Obama.” What? What?!