Friday, September 25, 2020

How "Memories" Was Made

I saw this early-1970s scrapbook cover image on Twitter today (thanks to Cory Doctorow, of course, via Will Wheaton, but originally from a Tumblr called Electric Pipe Dream):

I can't say whether I saw it back in the day or not, but... something about it scratches the back of my mind. I think I did, perhaps. 

This kind of pointillist pen-and-ink drawing was something I tried to emulate as a young teenager. And those heavy-bottomed letters... memories, indeed!

Looking at it now, the additional thing I notice is the simplicity of the color separations, which would have all been done manually, using rubylith overlays to indicate the percentages of cyan, magenta, and yellow ink for each area. I wish I could see it close up to look at the half-tone dot pattern. 

(A note on the category I assigned for this post: This image came from a basement... just not my basement.)


No comments: