Saturday, June 27, 2020

Hubris 2020

I learned many concepts in high school English classes that began to shape my world view. One that I remember having to grapple with particularly was hubris. I didn't understand it at first; it seemed alien to me, maybe because its scale was too grand for my life experience at 15 years old. My teacher had to explain it, though seeing it illustrated in a text also helped (Oedipus).

I kept thinking about hubris last night while watching clips of Republican governors speaking back in May about the coronavirus (you can see them starting at about 2:30 here), declaring that their states would never be like New York when it came to the pandemic. I guess they didn't have that unit on the Greek tragedies like I did.

It inspired me to come up with some bad acrostics in their honor.

Hiding
Under
Brazenly
Ridiculous
Ideology
Systematically

Hoping
U
Become
Right
in
September

Haircuts
Ubers
Bars
Restaurants
Ice cream parlors
Schools

Heaping
Utter
Batshit
Reasons
Instead of
Science

Hollow,
Unwise
Bros
Reject
Intelligent
Solutions

Harming
Us
By
Reopening
Is
Stupid

No comments: