Friday, August 23, 2019

Deep Breaths

In our present context of the world literally on fire in multiple places, I'm deep-breathing these words from the always-inspiring Mariam Kaba, known as @prisonculture on Twitter :

I confess that some of these 'the world is about to end' pronouncements I'm seeing on social media are strange to me. We don't know anything. We don't know what will or won't happen. I find catastrophizing to be counterproductive and frankly sometimes just lazy.

For some, it just seems to be another excuse to disconnect from the work that needs to be done for day to day survival and for the alleviation of suffering.

And say the world is ending... now what? How are you living your life any differently than you were before you decided that this was true? I don't know what's going to happen. I do know that I'm committed to living in the best way I know how in the meantime.

Cuz while I don't know if or how THE world will end, I do know that MY world will definitely end and most likely sooner rather than later. So I'll do my part in the meantime.
If you haven't yet listened to the Why Is This Happening? podcast interview with Kaba... make it happen soon.

No comments: