Thursday, September 28, 2017

Montreal: The Cemetery

It was a foggy Saturday morning when I visited the Notre-Dame-des-Neiges cemetery on the northwest side of the "mountain" that gives Montreal its name. There are a million people buried there and in the adjoining Mount Royal Cemetery. Wow.

Most of it looked like this:


But there were also family mausoleums:






Here's a close-up of that doorway:


Out of the many markers that I saw, a few particularly caught my attention:


It almost seems as if he might start talking to you at any moment.


This is the grave of a 5-year-old boy.


This funky lettering was not typical.

In addition to the sea of grass and tree-form hydrangeas that were popular near many gravesites, there were a few signs of life along the way:


Detergent left behind by a family cleaning their family's stone, perhaps?


And a woodchuck. Chucking.

I know I only saw a small portion of the cemetery, but I'm glad I went. The fog was burning off as I descended the steep northern edge.

No comments: