Monday, October 10, 2016

Two Chairs Far from Home

Here's one for the "we're so proud of the shape of our state that we make it into things" file:


What would you call these? Wisconsindack chairs? It just doesn't roll off the tongue.

I'm not sure if this is a Midwestern quirk, but after moving to Minnesota 30 years ago, I realized that people here and in Wisconsin (and maybe some other states like Ohio and Michigan) seem to think the shape of their state automatically makes a great graphic concept.

Does this happen in Illinois and Indiana? I assume it doesn't in Colorado or even Iowa. I don't remember it being common in New York, but maybe I wasn't paying attention back in my youth. Seems like it was only used on New York State official or political messaging.

I tend to think it's part of our Midwestern inferiority complex, but who knows.

No comments: