Monday, October 3, 2016

Four Photos, No Pattern

For today, I've got a few recent photos.

First, this 1923 concrete shield above the door at one of the dairy buildings on the University of Minnesota's St. Paul campus:


I recommend clicking to enlarge it. That's a butter churn in the center, and those are cow skulls on the right and left.

Then there's this decorative plaque, seen at a second-hand store:


The graphic design trick of replacing one letter with a shape is premised on the idea that the replacement shape has something in common with the letter it replaces. In this case, the best I can do is read this as "PROY."

I've seen signs in Italy that use the word bimbo (which means baby), and it was funny enough for me to note it here in a past post. But this bread is in the U.S., and not in a store that carries international brands, either:


Bimbo the little white bread bear. What's up with that? I have no idea.

Finally, just one for the election:


Seen in South Minneapolis.

No comments: