Sunday, July 5, 2015

Signs from the Basement

It takes a lot for me to put a political sign up in my yard. Going through my basement recently was a reminder of the causes and people that moved me enough to get a sign.

I think I've only put up one for a candidate:


Although I did remark that I might cover up the top of the exclamation point after Wellstone's 1996 vote in favor of the Defense of Marriage Act. So that it was clear that I still supported him, but not as enthusiastically as before that misbegotten vote. I guess he was "evolving" on the issue of marriage equality before he died.

The issue signs are both local and national/international:


I can't recall what year the stadium vote was -- some time around 2000, I think. Lot of good that one did. It still makes me angry.


Though it's interesting to note that Betsy Hodges, now mayor of Minneapolis, was treasurer for the campaign.


Then there's the classic 2002-2003 sign against the war in Iraq. That was up for a long time.


And finally, the 2012 Minnesotans United sign against the Republican-sponsored anti-marriage amendment.


We won that vote, and I was even happier to turn the sign over and make my own version in May 2013 when our legislature approved marriage equality and the governor signed it into law.

No comments: