Saturday, January 3, 2015

Purging Begins

My ankle is now healed to about 95 percent of its original function, so it's time to go back into the basement for a New Year's purge. By coincidence, I saw this bit of graffiti on the way to drop off stuff at Goodwill:


With that as reinforcement, I'll be posting lots of finds from the basement in the coming days. Here's one quick one:


This full-page ad was printed in an August 1994 issue of the City Pages, a Twin Cities weekly paper (which is still in business, by the way). I wonder how long USWest (later Qwest, but now gone to Century Link) advertised this? I imagine someone has written an authoritative history of email's development and adoption.

All I know is it sure beat direct dialing someone else's modem to transmit files, which I started doing in the mid-1980s.

1 comment:

Gina said...

Oh, my! I do remember those very early fax machines. It is pretty amazing how quickly we transmit information nowadays.

One of my resolutions for 2015 is to get rid of all the paper. I have a tendency to save things even though I never look at them again. So I need to do a major purge of my files, major shredding, and stop saving so much. Let's see how long that lasts, eh? LOL