Monday, December 22, 2014

Get Rid of Tipping

My feelings on tipping are a bit inchoate, but this piece from Vox makes the case well. I hadn't thought enough about the discriminatory effect of tipping, particularly.

After a recent experience of terrible service in a small-town sports bar (never go to the Corner Pocket in Portage, Wisconsin!), I can identify with this quote from Vox:

In response to the question, "Do you feel pressured to tip at a restaurant even if you feel you received bad service?" 70 percent of those polled answered "yes." Margalioth wrote, "This seems to prove the social norm of tipping is so strong that many people feel extorted to tip." 
If tipping is, in theory, a reward for good service, then no tip should have been left in this situation. But I know that the server is probably only being paid $2 an hour, and that the problem may have been the kitchen's fault. So what are you supposed to do?

I would be happy to pay more for my food with no tipping allowed and a living wage paid to servers. Alcohol prices, which don't affect me much since I hardly ever drink, should be left as is since they're already marked up enough to cover the labor involved in delivering them to the table.

No comments: