Saturday, July 19, 2014

Microwaved Kale

I keep hearing how great kale chips are, so I tried to make some last year during kale season (which lasts for about six months around my house). Scorched leaves is what I got. Next time, I thought, I'll watch the timing more carefully.

The season is approaching again and I just saw this in a friend's Facebook post. Sounds like it's worth a try:

Microwaved Kale

  • Wash and dry the kale leaves. 
  • Remove the large stems and tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces. 
  • Toss with a small amount of oil and seasonings. 
  • Arrange on a microwave-safe plate. 
  • Microwave for 3 minutes. 
  • If not crispy enough, microwave for 30 seconds more.
This sounds a lot easier than heating up the oven, and the chance of incinernating the kale should be a lot less. I'll try it as soon as the kale becomes plentiful and post the results.

2 comments:

Pete Hautman said...

Re: microwave. Don't do it. Just don't.
Use lacinato (dinosaur) kale, remove ribs, rub leaves with olive oil, one layer of kale on baking sheet, oven at 325 or less, 10-15 minutes (keep checking), salt after cooking.
It's easy to mess up kale chips, but once you get it down, they're great.
- the Kale Nazi

Daughter Number Three said...

Thanks, Pete!