Monday, May 7, 2012

All Roof and No Building

I didn't know how much affection I had for the Dinkytown (Minneapolis) McDonald's until the other day when I rode past it on the bus.

Red and yellow McDonald's roof, no building visible
The north side of the University of Minnesota Minneapolis campus has changed incredibly since I left graduate school 15 or so years ago. Now it houses lots of generic brick private dorms and giant athletic complexes.

When the bus reached Dinkytown, I was astounded by the lack of familiar landmarks until I saw the familiar red and yellow mansard roof, popping up just above street level, as if the building had slipped into a sink hole.

It's a sad day when a McDonald's is one of the few buildings that brings a bit of individuality to a business district.

No comments: