Friday, July 16, 2010

And Now Some News of Substance

It never ceases to amaze me how much importance some people place on what a woman looks like. Here are two stories, side by side on the Huffington Post today:

Screen snap of two Huffington Post stories
The one on the left describes Glenn Beck's outrage that Michele Obama wore a blouse with a black and white pattern on it while touring the Gulf oil spill. (The print looked to him like an oil spill, thus making it her "most Marie Antoinette moment.")

The one on the right provides a transcript of a senator speaking on a radio show, implying that Rachel Maddow looks like something other than a woman. Because she has short hair, I guess. All women have long hair, of course.

Out of all the dozens (or hundreds?) of women on network or cable news/talk shows, Rachel Maddow is practically the only one I've seen who looks like a real person. Maybe that's because she got her start in radio.

2 comments:

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I guess he thinks he's cleverly suggesting that she's gay. Which she'll tell him if he just asks.

Unknown said...

I love Rachel; she's the smartest person on TV. And that amounts to a Marie Antoinette moment? I've been astounded more than once by Mr. Beck's ability to "read" hidden signs.

The cover of his own book Arguing with Idiots stunned me, but then I'm not the perceptive genius he is. I just wondered why he was doing cosplay as a pseudo-Nazi-Stasi-puting baby...