Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Babies Are Safe!

Former Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge was on the Daily Show last night, promoting his new book and possibly primping for a presidential run in 2012.

Sometimes I think I am the only one who remembers how, back in October 2001 when Ridge was first appointed, someone from the Bush administration was quoted as saying "We want to brand Tom Ridge. When people see him, we want them to think, 'My babies are safe.' " (You can still see the original story in the Washington Post. God bless the Internet.)

Composite photo of Tom Ridge addressing six babies
Every time I hear the man's name or see his face, I compulsively shriek, "My babies are safe!"

I guess that branding stuff really works.

1 comment:

Ms Sparrow said...

Don't you just love the stuff you learn on the Daily Show and Colbert Report?