Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Bohemian Rhapsodies


My memory from almost 35 years ago can be a bit dodgy, but I clearly remember the first time I heard Bohemian Rhapsody.

I was 15 and alone in my room, somewhat late at night. I was listening to the radio (and probably reading or drawing) when a musical tidal wave snuck up on me over the air. I sat on my bed, motionless, throughout the whole song, and waited impatiently to hear who the band was.

I'm not sure if I found out right away that it was by Queen. I do remember listening to the radio obsessively over the next several days, waiting to hear BH again. No iTunes, no YouTube... I couldn't even afford to buy the record. I was one frustrated girl.

Some while later I saw this video version, probably on either "The King Biscuit Flower Hour," "Don Kirshner's Rock Concert" or "In Concert." (Long before MTV.)



I did buy the album A Night at the Opera a few years later, when I had my first job.

And it all came rushing back to me when I saw this amazing confabulation recently:



I love this video because it combines a song I still love with the most extreme geekery and a dash of Ernie Kovacs.

A few other favorite versions of BH are the Lost parody (with music by Weird Al Yankovic)...



and finally, BH as heard on a tape deck in a rusty blue Pacer from Wayne's World. The best part is around 1 minute 50 seconds into the clip.

No comments: