Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hair Today

Hand-painted pink sign with black letters reading UPDOS Party Hair
Sometimes I feel like the English language is leaving me behind.

When I saw this sign in front of a beauty salon last week, I was confounded for a minute. UPDOS ... some version of MS-DOS, perhaps? Maybe something from Hindu?

Then I realized it was UP + DO + S, like when a woman with long hair piles it up on top of her head. Hairdo - hair + up = Updo. Of course. I've heard it said, but never seen it written, let alone considered what its plural form would look like.

Lampshade with auburn curly hair under it. The words Your Face Here where a face should be"Party Hair" helped me out a bit by providing context, although I have to say that party hair seems like an odd construction all its own -- as if it wasn't really your hair, but some special hair you rent just for going to parties. Perhaps it comes attached to the lower edge of a lampshade, and all you have to do is put it on your head, climb up on a table and start dancing.

(Sign seen on Snelling Avenue in St. Paul, Minn.)

No comments: