Saturday, May 9, 2009

Canning Your Own

Cover of the book, with flat color art of a woman standing in a tomato fieldI just picked up the Fresh Girl's Guide to Easy Canning by Ana Micka, which looks to be a really helpful intro to something I may be on the verge of doing.

(I'm thinking of canning spaghetti sauce from all the tomatoes I am theoretically growing.)

FGG to EC includes a DVD showing how to do this mysterious thing that I know my dad's mother used to do. The book is a miniature three-ring binder, so you can lay it open on the counter easily.

And, of course, I have to admit that part of the reason I like it so much at first blush is the overall design and the wonderful graphics throughout, courtesy of Aleksandra Stancevic of Entropy Design Lab. It's a very thoughtful piece of work.

I love how the younger generation (especially the women, it seems) is rediscovering craft knowledge, from knitting to canning, and making it their own. (See elenabella's posts on her experiences with Etsy for an idea of the range that's out there.)

No comments: