Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cars and Bridges in Minneapolis

I was sitting in my office eating lunch and reading The Bridge, the community newspaper in the area where I work (the Seward neighborhood of Minneapolis). My eye fell on a headline: "HOURCAR now available at Seward Co-op."

I quickly read the story, which told me the HOURCAR car sharing service had set up a parking space two blocks away at the new Seward Co-op building. As I looked up from the story and glanced out my window, what did I see but the HOURCAR scooting past.

Silver Prius driving past a playground and green grass
Now if I were Michelle Bachmann, I would think that was more than a coincidence. But since I am a skeptic, I will have to assume the odds of me seeing the HOURCAR are pretty good, since it lives only a couple of blocks away.

On a sadder note, The Bridge newspaper has just announced that it is going to cease printing and go online-only.

They plan to continue to commit just as many resources to creating neighborhood content (on a more timely basis), but without the printing and distribution costs... They want lots of people to sign up on the website to show support. I think I'll go do that now.

No comments: