Friday, November 7, 2008

My Farm Is Your Farm

Woman sitting on a bench among tall corn plantsOn election day, I heard a story on NPR about a unique form of Community Supported Agriculture called "My Farm" (although I can't find a link to the story on NPR's site, what's up with that?).

My Farm is a San Francisco-based small business that designs and plants gardens, based on permaculture principles, in peoples' back yards. The peripatetic farmers then install drip irrigation, take care of weeding weed and mulching, deal with the compost, and finally -- when things ripen -- harvest the veggies and fruits and leave them in a basket for the homeowners.

Kind of like the shoemaker and the elves, only you know who did the work and you pay them. (Installation is between $600 and $2,000, plus a weekly $35 payment. Which I guess is "dirt" cheap in San Francisco, compared to landscaping work in general.)

Check out the My Farm site or this article about My Farm on Eat Drink Better.

No comments: