Sunday, August 3, 2008

Sign Oddities

During my recent road trip, I saw a couple of signs that made me look twice.

First, in Michigan, I couldn't help misreading their highway work zone signs:

INJURE KILL WORKER
$7500
15 YEARS

I know it's probably because I grew up in the era of Death Race 2000, but doesn't that sign seem to say there is a $7500 payment for injuring or killing a worker? At least at first glance, as you pass by at 50, 60 or 70 miles per hour? Perhaps they could have included the word "fine" to make it a bit clearer?

Then, at the small airport outside Cooperstown, New York, I saw this banner on the hangar:

Cooperstown Westfield Airport
Celebrating 50 Years of Relatively Safe Flying

I'm not sure if that's an example of rural modesty, or whether they had to get the anniversary banner approved by their lawyers before hanging it. Wouldn't want to overstate your safety record, after all, and invite a lawsuit from someone who was misled into flying because of your puffery!

No comments: