Thursday, August 28, 2008

Punctuation &mdash Get Hooked on It.

White sign with red letters reading quote Education-Get hooked on it. unquote
My daughter (and I) attended freshman orientation at her new high school tonight. In between the thrill of opening her locker and finding all her classrooms, I couldn't help noticing the red and white signs posted throughout the building.

While obviously intended to be inspirational, the signs would have benefited from a final once-over by someone acquainted with the rules of punctuation.

White sign with red letters reading quote Respect-that's the way to life. unquote
Can you say "em dash"? I'd even be OK with a double hyphen in this case... at least it would indicate the sign-maker knew the difference. (This error was repeated on a number of other signs.)

And, of course, every one of the aphorisms was set inside a pair of quotation marks. What do they add? The words are not actually quotations from anyone, are they?

Just more fodder for the "Blog" of "Unnecessary" Quotation Marks, I guess.

1 comment:

elena said...

Hey DN3, I linked to this page today at elenabella.blogspot.com!