Monday, July 28, 2008

Think of the Money You'll Save

While visiting upstate New York, I saw this bank ad in the local paper:

Ad with Shopping Tips. First tip: Avoid Shopping for Food When You're Hungry
Given the state of our current economy, the headline in the blue area struck me as oddly out of touch. Perhaps even clueless.

As anyone knows who reads a newspaper, the number of people using food shelves is up as people struggle to make ends meet with higher energy prices and the home mortgage implosion. I just got a mailing from Second Harvest Heartland today, reminding me that "staggering increases in fuel costs impact emergency food relief" as well (everything from food banks to Meals on Wheels).

So there you go. Just remember -- avoid shopping for food when you're hungry. But if you're always hungry, I guess you'd better not shop at all. Think of the money you'll save by not eating.

No comments: