Sunday, December 16, 2007

Common Good Books

Doing some Christmas shopping, and I finally checked out Garrison Keillor's Common Good Books store over on Cathedral Hill. Don't know why I hadn't been there before now.

Anyway, it was really great. Reminds me of the Hungry Mind at its best, and therefore inspired me to buy lots of books. It even had a section on Reporting, Can you believe it? It also gives us all a look at the desk Keillor used when he lived in New York.

Seed Queen cover by David SteinlichtWhile we were there, I saw this little sign the staff had posted to accompany a book whose cover was done by a friend. It's a great cover for a book about Lillian Colton, the pioneer of crop art. Until just a few years ago, Lillian sat in the Horticulture building during the State Fair every day, making crop art one seed at a time.

Anyway, the staff at Common Good knew exactly where everything was when I asked, and I was finally able to get ahold of the Wendell Berry essays I've been meaning to read.

No luck on the Kevin Kling CDs, though. I guess those are out of print. They suggested I look at Cheapo for used copies.

Common Good Books
165 Western Ave N, Suite 14, St. Paul, MN 55102
Tel: 651-225-8989 • Website

No comments: