While I think the answer is "both" (he's reinforcing but also building and normalizing the rhetoric, playing on white fears like a musician who plays by ear rather than by learning music), here's an interesting graph from a recent Washington Post story called Elitists, crybabies, and junky degrees: A Trump supporter explains rising conservative anger at American universities:

The topic of the story relates directly to my recent post about Billy's Mule and the death of expertise; but the graph shows that while there's been an ongoing gap between Democrats and Republicans on the value of higher education, it grew by a lot, rapidly, starting in 2015.
What happened in 2015? Well, gee. Trump spent half the year publicly pushing his Idiocracy campaign. So once again, is it cause and effect? Or just correlation?
I can't think of anything else that happened in 2015 and 2016 (that wasn't also happening in 2014 and earlier) that could have caused this. Can you?
I found that article one of the most depressing things I’ve read recently. Ignorance is strength, as someone once wrote.
ReplyDelete