Then, in Friday's paper, there was this:
It seems Trump managed to go thank a few members of the armed forces on Thanksgiving after all. The guys in the blue jumpsuits are members of the Coast Guard, stationed near Mar-a-Lago, in Florida.
None of that is what I really want to talk about here, though. I want to discuss the headline that accompanies the photo and long caption.
Trump pays tribute to our troops.
Does that seem like a mainstream newspaper headline to you? It doesn't to me.
"Our troops" is a loaded phrase at this point. "Trump pays tribute to the troops" or "Trump pays tribute to American troops"... either of those, I wouldn't have even noticed. But our troops twists the narrative in a way that I can feel in my gut but not quite express.
Remember when George W. Bush created a new department after September 11th, and named it the Department of Homeland Security? I reacted to that, too. Homeland. Not a word we used in this country to describe ourselves, up until that point. It sounded too much like Nazi Germany, right?
Was I the only one who thought that? Our troops is not a phrase I would have ever seen in a mainstream newspaper during my lifetime, I believe, unless it was in a quote, and especially not in a headline. Maybe during World War II, or even during the Korean conflict. But it's not a journalistic phrase: it's evidence of jingoism, and not appropriate.
Is this just a small thing, or part of a big thing, more evidence of the change slowly overtaking our country?
No comments:
Post a Comment
Comments are moderated, so don't be surprised when yours doesn't appear immediately. Please only submit once.