Sunday, August 23, 2026

A Pagoda with Heels

It's been a while since I wrote about the corporate paternalism of the Endicott Johnson shoe company. Rereading it today*, after these decades of increasing oligarchic retrenchment and tech-overlordism (and our current eugenicist government policy), I felt as though I was looking at another country, or maybe a different planet.

I was prompted to look at what I had written about EJ because of this post I saw on Facebook called Upstate New York Photos:

The historic EJ Workers Pagoda in C. Fred Johnson Park in Johnson City. Constructed in the 1910s as a pump house for EJ shoe factories. Now a restored folk art structure, it features glass, brick, and shoe heels embedded in its walls.

Shoe heels!

I don't think I've ever seen the pagoda in person. I've ridden on the many carousels in the parks in Endicott, Johnson City, and Binghamton, built for the enjoyment of EJ workers, though. 

__

* Recommended!

No comments: