I've been wondering lately what my cortisol level is like, and admitting to myself that it's probably not good. Reading is an anesthetic. I don't know if it decreases stress in a general way, but it distracts… as long as I'm not reading books about aspects of our current problem.
With that in mind, I was at one of my favorite bookstores today looking for a new book I just heard about. In a way that book's subject is related to the problem, but I think it may be helpful anyway. Unfortunately, it was already sold out, so I had to put it on order.
While I was there, though, I saw this on the shelf:

You never know what you'll see in a bookstore.
I didn't buy that book, but I've immortalized it in my photo collection.
I also found out there's a new book in Martha Wells's Murderbot series (score!), and I decided to get the final book in Colson Whitehead's Harlem trilogy, which came out this year. I already have the other two books but haven't read them yet. Now I can read them all in a row without having to wait.
So I should be set with more diversion from *all this* for a little while longer.

2 comments:
Books and records and other humans and critters — they’ll help us through, I hope.
It was thoughtful of the bookstore to position that book with the cover facing the customer. Seeing it reminds me that I have the book The Reign of the Phallus, a mind-boggling book about ancient Greek art, turned backwards on a bookshelf in the room where my wife teaches young violin students.
My Egyptology professor (who was a man, and not particularly a feminist as far as I remember) used to say something along the lines of, Anything longer than it was wide was meant to represent a phallus.
Post a Comment